Friday, June 17, 2011

Nets


I used to think I was a tough guy.  I didn't need a net.  I can handle a fish.  I was wrong.  I know there are net guys and no net guys.  I used to be the latter, but I have been converted.  Here's why...

I was fishing the lower Kinni when I hooked into a really nice sized brown with my 3wt (>18 inches).  After a pretty good fight, I got him close and tried to get a hand around him.  This beast was too big for me to get a grip on.  I'm 6' and have pretty big hands but, around this fish, my hand couldn't get a grip.  I ended up probably trying to squeeze too hard and eventually lost my grip anyway.  The fish broke off immediately after that and I never got a really good look at him, or a picture for that mater to remember that great fish.  Right then, I was a net man for life.    No more missed grips and a second or third run because I couldn't get a hold of them. 

The second reason I am a net man is the invention of the rubber net bag.  No more flies caught in the netting and the natural slime coat of the fish is more protected.  Also, If you plan to take pictures of your fish, you can rest a fish in a net while you get your camera situated and ready for a shot.  The fish can remain in the water and will be less stressed than if you try to take a picture while holding on to it the whole time. 

Ghosted!

If you are looking for a net, I would recommend a rubber bag and the smallest one you can get away with on your favorite stream.  Big nets are heavy and you won't take them with all the time because they are a pain to deal with.  My mother and father-in-law gave me a Brodin Ghost net for my birthday recently and wow, what an awesome net.  I really think fish are less stressed in the clear bag. They seem to not know it's there and try to swim though it repeatedly.  Plus, what a great looking net!  The teak handle is responsibly harvested from plantation teak in Costa Rica.  The craftsmanship is unmatched and will undoubtedly last a lifetime.  I have the Firehole model which is about right for a stream where the average fish is 10-12 inches.

3 comments:

  1. So true! I used to think nets were eye candy. I have since realized that mistake. I love that Ghost net; I'll have to start saving. I lost my clear bag net the other day in the Kinnie. I am using the black bag now...not too pleased

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks you lost your net. I took the leash off my magnetic release and have been paranoid about loosing my new net. I think I might put that back on. I love the ghost nets. If you can find an older net on ebay or something for cheaper they sell replacement ghost bags. That was what I was going to do until I got this one as a present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I saved up and got one! I got the Brodin Ghost Gallatin. I love it. I wood burnt my name and phone number onto the handle as well just in case!

    ReplyDelete