Tuesday, February 15, 2011

First trout of 2011




I know, this fish makes the #18 midge look big.  He still counts though.
I got back out to Hay creek on Saturday.  It was super nice out and above zero so no frozen guides. I thought the fishing would be pretty good but it was still really tough.  Maybe I am just fishing a tough spot.  The only thing I got a bite on was size 18 midge nymph.  There was actually a little hatch when I first got there and I saw two rises in the first pool I fished.  After that, I didn't see anything break the surface.  I was fishing deep, which is usually the best tactic in the winter but maybe they were feeding on midge emergers.  I didn't see any fish up high just hugging the bottom so I figured not.  I just got one little 9 incher.....  It was nice out and I didn't get skunked so I guess it was a good day.  A frustrating day but a good day. 


The light on the river as I was leaving was great.  Looks like this one needs to be straightened.  I was scared of falling in. 

These were the guys walking around on the snow.  I saw these and adult midges with the fluffy white antenna. 
My guess is stone fly. Anybody have a better guess?
Rivers in the winter offer their own unique type of beauty.

My best winter shot so far. I love the reflection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment