Friday, August 13, 2010



I was up in north central Minnesota over the 4th of July and again a few weeks back.  There are not too many trout streams up there but I tried my luck in both of them.  The Straight river flows near Park Rapids MN and is one of the premier trout streams in the state.  Apparently, not were I was fishing.  It was choked with vegetation on both sides, which made walking the river almost impossible.  I think I saw 1 trout but there were too many chubs hitting my fly to have a fair chance at the trout.  There has to be better spots somewhere on the stream but I would skip the spots near Osage and try down near Highway 71.  What the Straight lacked in fish quantity it made up for in absolute stunning scenery. I'll add some pictures soon. 

I also fished Stoney Brook that flows into Upper Gull Lake near Nisswa MN.  This stream is spring fed and ice cold even in late July. Stoney Brook is catch and release for all brook trout and has quite a decent population because of that.  The main difficulty is finding a spot were a cast doesn’t spook all the trout in the pool. It runs slow and gin clear close to the parking area. Try heading up stream and fish moving and broken water for better luck. I ended up catching 4 in a few hours.
A respectable sized native brook trout
He decided to hang out by my feet for a second
One of the only runs that was fishable

No comments:

Post a Comment