Friday, December 4, 2009

Tying leaders and throwing beer cans

Could anything in fly fishing be more boring or frustrating than tying leaders? First of all, how much do tapered leaders cost? $4? In the past I went through my share of leaders and even now that I don’t wind knot a leader to hell in 10 minutes I still manage to lose a new one after only one cast every once in a while. This is enough to make the average fly fisherman consider tying their own leaders. Honestly, most of my leaders last, at least, two trips. Maybe more if I’m fishing a lot of dry flies. Lets also be honest about how much tying your own cost. Tying you own leaders save money like tying your own flies saves money. Theoretically it is cheaper to tie your own but honestly are you going to tie a hundred leaders anytime soon? Lets add up the cost of a wolly bugger first.
Hooks: $5.25
Thread: $1.50
Bead heads: $4.50
Lead free wire: $2
Marabou: $4
Chenille: $4
Saddle hackle: $5 Minimum
Silver wire: $2
That’s $28 if you only want to tie one color, one size and you have all the tools

At $1.50 a fly (like yours will be as good as the $1.50 flies….maybe $.75 flies) So after the 19th size 10 black wooly bugger those babies are free. I imagine leader tying stuff is cheaper but you will still want like 6 or 7 different line sizes right?
Second of all, can anyone actually tie a blood or Albright knot? The blood knot is like tying two cinch knots to one another. Really? How do you hold the other one in place while tying the second? I give up.

I am writing this because my Dad wants a leader tying kit for Christmas. Next thing you know he will want to make his own wood trout net. I find this funny because I initially wanted to do both of those things. I looked into the whole leader tying stuff and found that I didn’t care if the but section was 25 or 27% of the leader. I like to fish and I’ll leave the leader tech up to the pros. If the package says its good for nymphs that’s good enough for me. I don’t need to know the leader is 35% taper 25% butt and the rest tippet. I’ll focus on tying flies. I only need one hobby that makes me throw beer cans against the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment